Sheriff’s Office: Names released of two people dead in murder/suicide in Lubbock County

A man and woman are dead following a murder/suicide in East Lubbock County.

Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office responded to initial reports of a domestic disturbance just after 8:30 pm. on CR 3460 near Woodrow Road, according to a press release.

Deputies were called to the 16000 block of CR 3460, just north of Slaton, according to LSO media spokesman Lt. Bryan Taylor.

“It was when deputies arrived on scene that they discovered 52-year-old Leslie Covington deceased,” he said, “having sustained a single gunshot wound to the head.”

Monte Covington, 58, was discovered a few feet away also deceased, from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

“At the time of this shooting,” Taylor said, “the Covingtons’ children, ages 10, 15 and 18 were within the residence and are not involved with the incident.”

LSO is still investigating the incident just before 7 p.m. Sunday.

Follow lubbockonline.com as the story continues to develop.

Jeff Ross 11 months ago
It's sad that there are so many incidents like this, but, as the Trump Party/NRA tells US so often, guns make US safer.

Well, here's two more of US made safer, easier, through the guns WE buy, sell, and worship.

If you love your family, not having a firearm in the home is a good start.
Doyce Woods II 11 months ago
Well, as I don't advocate firearms going off by themselves. I do advocate keeping a firearm for protection against an intruder or rapist. I hate to say this case is civil. Meaning a marriage that has problems. It was not the guns fault.
Doyce Woods II 11 months ago
Oh, forgot to add, the weapon could just as well been a hammer  knife, screwdriver, even a car, etc.. Jeff Ross I hope that one day you will see my point. Bad people make it hard for good people that has constitutional law, responsibility, civil and natural rights.
Rod Moore 10 months ago
Yes so many hammer themselves to death after murdering someone.

Suicide by Hammer, must stop this....smh
Marcus Tiro 11 months ago
What a disgusting thing to say when something like this happens. It wasn't Trump or the NRA who said guns make us safer. It was the founders of our nation, in case you didn't notice Amendment Two.
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
The Trump Party (not Trump), and the NRA have strongly advocated for more guns in more hands to make US safer for years/decades. Each of the last three presidential elections have seen firearm and ammo sales hit record highs, first because the black guy, and then the white woman were supposed to come take all the firearms away, according to the Trump Party and the NRA.

That is the disgusting part; the feeding of irrational fears of angry older white men, for power and profit.

They don't care that older white men are killing themselves and the ones they "love", partially because of those stoked fears.

This is just one more tragedy in a long, long list of tragedies like it. About the only decent thing which can be said is, at least he didn't kill his whole family.

Go ahead and defend this sort of thing happening though. The Trump Party and NRA says there is nothing WE can do to cut down incidents like these, because that would require rational gun restrictions, and that is not going to be allowed to happen.

Guns make US safer or safe, if "safer" means more likely to be shot, and "safe" means shot dead. There's no place safer than the grave.

Edited to add: Peace be unto their families and loved ones. They themselves are at peace now.
Bill Long 11 months ago
Name one "rational" gun restriction that would have prevented this from happening.
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Mental health screenings, disarming folks who become violent toward their spouses, and/or family members. Are those irrational?
Bill Long 11 months ago
Was Mr Covington ever deemed mentally ill? Was he ever previously charged with domestic abuse violence? So far you have yet to propose anything that could have prevented this tragedy.
[removed] 11 months ago
This comment has been deleted
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Just wondering what dictionary you use in choosing which terms to use SB. If "leftists" means supporting more gun regulation, than that is most of US, including folks identifying as GOPs. I guess that means WE live in a leftist country.

Does your dictionary define "delusional" as basing beliefs upon research data and facts? If so, then I guess I am delusional. On the other hand, since delusional means refusing to accept facts which don't agree with personal beliefs, then I'm pretty sure that folks like you are the delusional ones.
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
The facts are that having a firearm in almost any situation increases the likelihood of homicide, suicide, and accidental shootings.

If you refuse to accept those facts, by definition, you are delusional.

If it would help change your mind, I'll provide the research findings to support my statements. If not, I don't think I'll waste my time and effort.
Bill Long 11 months ago
Matthew Herrell 11 months ago
It's not the guns that are killing people.  Mental illnesses, drugs, alcohol.  I am guessing you have never been broken into or awaken at 2 am with someone trying to break the front door in.  We'll I am thankful that we are allowed to have guns in our home.

Rob Daniel 11 months ago
Who is proposing that you not be allowed to have a gun in your home?

Second question, should mentally disturbed/disabled people or people with a history of violence be allowed to have guns?
Laci Hay 11 months ago

Rob....if they have a history of violence they cannot legally obtain a guy. know your facts. Making guns illegal is going to work about like making drugs illegal.....they are still every where.

The better fight to have would be.....why is it so hard to get adults with mental issues help?? Pick your battles. You will never remove guns so lets find ways to help the mentally ill.

Here are a few laws on the Mentally ill being able to purchase a firearm. So like I said it doesn't matter if you make them illegal people will still get them.

felony convictions (permanent) and Class A or B misdemeanors (5 years, permanent in cases of domestic violence), including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication;

pending criminal charges (indefinite until resolved);chemical or alcohol dependency (defined as 2 convictions for substance-related offenses in a 10-year period; 10-year ban from the date of the first conviction);

certain types of psychological diagnoses (indefinite until the condition is testified by a medical professional as being in remission);

protective or restraining orders (indefinite until rescinded); ordefaults on taxes, student loans, child support and/or other governmental fees (indefinite until resolved).[5]

Rob Daniel 11 months ago
Who in the world on this thread has proposed making guns, in general, illegal, which is what you've implied in your opening response to my comment?

You just had a coniption for nothing.

I see some people, like Jeff, using rational arguments and facts to make people think about the dangers of guns in the home and how those dangers stand in stark contrast to what the gun-obsessed purport otherwise.

Then I see other people, including you, making straw man arguments.
Rob Daniel 11 months ago
Not sure how a murder/suicide made more likely by having a gun in the home makes the killer a "good" person.

Or was he just a bad person "making it hard" for good people with constitutional law[?], responsibility, civil and natural rights?

These asinine screwdriver and hammer comparisons aren't even analagous.  They are, in fact, inapposite.

Killings by the types of weapons used:

Firearms: 67.8%

Knives or other cutting instruments: 13.4%
Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.): 5.7%
Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.): 3.9%
Other dangerous weapons: 9.2%

Our Founding Fathers and "Amendment Two" certainly didn't make the deceased safer.
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Not to mention that about 1/2 of US suicides, a bit over 12K use firearms to accomplish their task. This guy added 1 to each stat for 2017.
Rob Daniel 11 months ago

"I love my family. Which is why I have a firearm in my home and when I leave my home."---Bill Long

A lot of people feel this way, but their children end up dead because they get a hold of a gun in the home, or a family member shoots and kills another family member, then kills his or herself.

The likelihood of the aforementioned happening is more probable with a gun in the home.  Yet, the NRA/Trumpette party keep promoting gun ownership despite higher rates of gun violence and death in homes with guns than in homes without guns.

If, according to Bill Long's logic, loving your family means having a firearm in your home, then how loving is it when that gun is used by a family member in the home to end the life of other family members and  one's self?

Also, people who carry guns on their persons stand a greater chance of shooting themselves or others not out of self-defense than they stand to defend themselves from danger.

"Since 2007, at least 763 people have been killed by someone with a concealed carry permit. Those deaths are the result of 579 separate shootings, all initiated by someone who was given the legal right to carry a concealed weapon in our communities– our schools, churches, shopping centers, movie theaters and everywhere else."

Bill Long 11 months ago
I've owned guns all my life. My children grew up with them and now own/keep them for self protection. Yet, not a single family member has died. Your logic of having a gun in the home is flawed. Since I drive to/from work every day, I also have an increased chance of being killed in a automobile accident. Cause does not always equal effect.

Of those 763 people killed, how many were ruled justified by a grand jury or found not guilty in a court of law?
Rob Daniel 11 months ago
And again with your silly false car comparison which is inapposite, not analogous.  Guns are designed specifically to maim and kill whereas a car is designed specifically for transportation.

There are more registered car owners and exponentially more car usage with a lower rate of car homicide than there are privately owned guns and gun usage with exponentially more gun homicides.   There is no logical comparison.

Anecdotes are meaningless, Bill.  My "logic" isn't flawed because I am merely repeating statistical data concerning gun violence in homes with and without guns.

There are a higher rate of people killed in homes with guns in them than without.  It is also common that guns which exist in homes were in the home with someone who had them all his/her life.

The 763 people killled are the result of 579 separate shootings.  97 percent of the 763 gun CC permit deaths were not related to self defense in any way.

Only 21 incidences of the CC holders in this time frame were related to self-defense.   And 223 of those 763 people killed were suicides.

Bill Long 11 months ago

"Guns are designed specifically to maim and kill"

Your statement shows your bias. Guns are designed to shoot a projectile. It is the shooter who decides how they are used, not the gun.
Rob Daniel 11 months ago
Another straw man, Bill.  You're sort of full of them.   No one ever said the gun has human powers.

I don't know what else to tell you.  Maybe visit Merriam-Webster and look up weapon, projectile, and gun.

The shooter used a weapon called a gun to kill  his wife and then himself.  The gun was designed specifically, and efficiently (as a weapon, Bill) to fire a projectile (which is also a weapon, Bill) to maim and kill.

You've diminished yourself enough for one day, Bill.

[removed] 11 months ago
This comment has been deleted
Rob Daniel 11 months ago
"This man could have easily beat her, strangled her or stabbed her to death."--- Laci Hay

Apparently, Laci doesn't understand it is much easier and more likely that this man use a gun to murder then kill himself.   It was in his home like his fists, steak knives, and electral cords.

Killings by the types of weapons used:

Firearms: 67.8%

Knives or other cutting instruments: 13.4%
Personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.): 5.7%
Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.): 3.9%
Other dangerous weapons: 9.2%

Thankfully, the children were unharmed, which isn't always the result in home gun homicides.   We've all read where children were all murdered by a parent with a gun in the home, or children accidentally shot themselves or their siblings with a gun in the home.

Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Yes. Laci, this strikes very close to home, two people are dead, and their children are now orphans.

Best if we just ignore things like this if they bother us. Let's not discuss how to reduce things like this from happening, and just leave it up to the shooter's god to sort things out.

Just like teen pregnancy, STIs, and all the other woes, folks around here don't want to address, because they may strike to close to home.

What should we discuss instead, while we're ignoring so many important problems, because some folks find discussing them to be distasteful?
Beez Onthesack 11 months ago
May those children and their family have peace and comfort for what must clearly be, broken hearts.
Lani Hawk 11 months ago
I am saddened by the remarks below.  I knew this family well and this is an awful time for them all,  Do you think any of the finger pointing brings them any comfort.  Answer no...Look past your own agenda and look to the ones you love and unless you have something encouraging to say you should keep your comments to yourself.  Let the family grieve.
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Lani, If we ignore this occurrence, as many of us ignore all similar occurrences, when are we ever going to try to do what we can to reduce these sorts of occurrences? It's happening more frequently, and it is always a tragedy, but ignoring it will not make it better.

Should we just hush up about it and hope things like this stop happening on their own?

Rob Daniel 11 months ago
I am saddened to see another family devasted by gun violence in the home.   Learning from this tragedy can provide a positive outcome for many more families.
Sherry Long Reed 11 months ago
I wasn't going to commit to this but after reading Jeff Ross statement I felt I needed to. Please let me remind you Mr. Ross people have had guns for centuries that's how people feed their family's. It is not guns that kill its people who kill with guns, cars, knifes, bombs etc. so next are we going to give up everything because you have bad people in this world. I don't carry a gun to kill people I carry a gun for safety. Just like I lock my doors at night not because I hate people outside my door, but because I love my family and want to keep them safe inside my house. You may not want to carry a gun and that is your right just like its my right to carry.  There are crazy bad people in this world and if their hell bent on killing they will use what ever they have to do it. Again you have your right not to want a gun but please don't stomp on my right to own and have one.
Rob Daniel 11 months ago
Ms. Reed, could you please show me evidence, anywhere in Jeff's commentary, that he wants to "stomp on your right to own and have a gun"?

If you had taken the time to read his commentary, he has only pointed out that people who carry guns, have them in their homes or "in almost any situation increases the likelihood of homicide, suicide, and accidental shootings."

There is evidence in the AJ article and throughout the thread provided by Jeff and myself that supports his commentary.   Pointing this evidence out is not the same as stomping on your right to own and have a gun.

Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Sherry, Firearms, like most things, have benefits and risks. I think it is important to be well informed of the risks and benefits, along with ways to maximize benefits and minimize risks.

According to research, the risks include increased risk of homicide, suicide, and accidental shootings. There are ways to kill oneself, and others, intentionally or not, but firearms make it so easy that infants can and have shot themselves or others.

Most folks in the US support increased firearm regulation, and I hope mandated firearm safety education is required for firearm purchases, at least once in a purchaser's life.

Increased education on relational violence would help a lot too.

It's not just bad people, it's often just folks who get so scared or angry that they can't see another way to solve the problem. Again, firearms make the action of killing someone much easier than most others.

If folks refuse to acknowledge the risks, I don't think they'll minimize those risks, and high family shootings rates will continue.

I'd truly appreciate not having this sort of thing happen as often as it does.

STUART WILLIAMS 11 months ago
"This fork made me fat!"
"Having a gun makes me violent"
Always blame the gun, regulate guns and violence will stop.
Give us all a break!
Jeff Ross 11 months ago
Edited: Never mind.
Rob Daniel 11 months ago
How many straw mans can one thread  possibly contain!?

I didn't see anyone suggest regulating guns would make violence stop....or any of the other asinine arguments Stuart floated.
Emily Castleman 11 months ago
Monte Covington has been an abusive bully his whole life, beating every woman he was ever with.
Cary Hale 10 months ago
To all who have posted comments before me, you have made this a political back and forth and have totally Overlooked the fact that two people are dead. I knew one of these people and find it very disrespectful that you made this a political debate.
Rob Daniel 10 months ago
Mr. Hale, I am very sorry for your loss.   Unfortunately, the fact that two people are now dead is why this tragedy can and should be learned from.

The silver lining in this tragedy is that other families can be better informed about the increased likelyhood of homicide, suicide, or accidental gun violence by merely having a gun in the home.   This is a stastical fact that has rendered 4 children in the above story without parents.

Tue, 07/25/2017 - 15:26

Lubbock remains cyclospora-free amid uptick in cases around Texas

Cases of an illness caused by the parasite cyclospora are climbing in Texas.